Name / Title
Institute for adult education of Murska Sobota (Ljudska univerza Murska Sobota
Case Study Region
Pomurska case study region
Area of activity: mostly Pomurska statistical region
Government training scheme
Main activity / focus
Educational programs (for adult population); primary school, secondary school, other educational programs (language courses) for adults, other cultural etc. programs.
Topics of activities for our target group – foreign home owners:
- Language support (promotion of learning the language in the country of immigration)
- Cultural exchange between locals and migrants (promotion of mutual intercultural openness and tolerance)
(see more about programs in description section)
Target beneficiaries / market
Adults without formal education, retired people (different programs) etc. from the region.
Students of higher educational programs.
Foreign home owners – newcomers from European countries (permanent and second home owners).
Established in 1960 by municipality of Murska Sobota
Initiated and supported by:
- Municipal authorities (municipality of Murska Sobota)
- Ministry of education and sports
Current Funding source(s)
Founding sources are different; depend on activities and programs. Partly it is founded by the state (for example Ministry of education and sport) and municipality of Murska Sobota. Educational programs are mostly paid by the participants.
In the period of high unemployment in the region additional qualifications programs are supported from the government.
Activities concerned foreign home owners (mostly foreigners from Great Britain) were free of charge for participants but founded from different sources.
- Program “Prekmurci smo – predstavite se še vi” (“We are people from Pomurska region – introduce yourself) was supported by Ministry of education and Municipality of Murska Sobota)
- Slovene course for beginners by Municipality of Murska Sobota
- Program “Ljudje in glasba Prekmurja” (“People and music of Pomurska region”)
- Slovene course for foreigners (two levels); partly paid from participants
Different groups of adults people 8undereducated, retired, students etc.). In the year 2010 the number of participants:
- In the program of primary school: 85;
- Project education of young people: 23;
- In the program of secondary school: 186;
- In the higher educational program: 370 students;
- Other general educational programs 8language courses, computer work, etc): 694;
- Other programs: 114.
Talking about participants – foreign home owners:
- Program “Prekmurci smo – predstavite se še vi” (“We are people from Pomurska region – introduce yourself) was going on in 2005; 12 foreign home owners.
- Slovene course for beginners in the year 2005 and 2006: 12 foreign home owners.
- Program “Ljudje in glasba Prekmurja” (“People and music of Pomurska region”) in autumn 2006: 15 participants.
- Slovene course for foreigners (two levels) in the year 2008 and 2009: 6 foreign home owners.
Oficial webside: http://www.lums.si/
The presented institution has manly educational function for the region. Organizing additional educational programs for foreign home owners was a reaction on a high number of newcomers in 2004 in 2005.
- Program “Prekmurci smo – predstavite se še vi” (“We are people from Pomurska region – introduce yourself) was going on in 2005; initiative came from Institute itself or better from responsible person. She identified the problem in the region. The region and its cultural heritage were presented to foreign people, but also they had an opportunity to present themselves, to get know each other… Strong social effect of the programme.
- Slovene course for beginners in the year 2005 and 2006 was a result of above mentioned program – a need to get involved into the society.
- Program “Ljudje in glasba Prekmurja” (“People and music of Pomurska region”) in autumn 2006; new program to facilitate integration of foreign home owners in the region.
- Slovene course for foreigners (two levels) in the year 2008 and 2009 for permanent residents.
Organizer of adult educational programme
Ljudska univerza Murska Sobota
Slomškova ulica 33
9000 Murska Sobota
tel: 02 536 15 69
GSM: 051/318 133
elektronska pošta: firstname.lastname@example.org